The Android Support Library is offered as an SDK extra component that can be installed from the Android SDK Manager and located at the path sdk\extras, say C:\adt-bundle-windows\sdk\extras. It contains static libraries providing access to newer APIs on older platforms and various helper classes.
Each library is called v<api>, indicating the minimum API level that they require.
To use those libraries:
- simply copy them as static libraries into your project or
- right-click on the project and choose from the context menu, Android Tools>Add Support Library
The following are excerpts from the library README.txt:
*** V4 ***
– Fragment API. New in API 11 (3.0 – Honeycomb). http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Fragment.html
– Loader API. New in API 11 (3.0 – Honeycomb). http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/LoaderManager.html
– CursorAdapter / ResourceCursorAdapter / SimpleCursorAdapter. These are the API 11 versions.
– MenuCompat allows calling MenuItem.setShowAsAction which only exists on API 11.
v4/src/ is the source code for the compatibility library
v4/samples/ provides a sample app using the library.
*** V13 ***
v13/android-support-v13.jar provides the same features as v4, plus:
– FragmentPagerAdapter: Implementation of PagerAdapter that represents each page as a Fragment.
v13/src/ is the source code for the compatibility library, not including the v4 source
v13/samples/ provides a sample app using the library.